Jones Motor Services was started in 1898 in the North Wales town of Flint by Edward Jones, he was just 21 he began trading with his first horse and cart. In the early years, from premises on the site of Castle Works close to Flint Castle he carried out light haulage including carrying material to the site of Glansztoff (later Courtaulds) and work for Flint Borough Council. He also delivered paraffin oil to businesses and households in the area, that is why today the Company is still known locally as 'JONES THE OIL' a name of which we are proud of to this present day.
During the early 1920's he and his wife Hannah Mary developed the business into motorised transport putting seats onto the lorries at week-ends to take the town's folk on excursions and by the early 1930s from his garage which was situated in Earl Street Flint he had six coaches and four lorries. During this period he was joined in the business by his three sons, Thomas, Charles and Gwilym.
Throughout the war years which followed, the business continued while Charles and Gwilym were in the forces. In 1946 Charles went into business on his own as a coal merchant and light haulage for Flint Borough Council. Gwilym took over the business. Gwilym with the assistance of his wife Doris continued with the business throughout the 1950s and 1960s when they were joined by their son Alun. At this time they operated three coaches, a fleet of cars for weddings and funerals combined, also petrol retail and car repairs.
In 1964 Flint Borough Council decided to redevelop the area around Earl Street. Gwilym purchased land on Chester Road in Flint and built their present premises from which the business still trades to this day.
Alun Jones, grandson of the business founder, joned his father Gwilym in the business and took the business forwards developing new products and services to satisfy an ever expanding local customer base.
With coaches now engaged in a whole variety of day trips for private groups and factory outings, deregulation of the coach industry in 1980 meant that a young Alun Jones was now able to plan and sell day trips and later holidays to popular UK and later continental destinations.
The mid 1980's saw the Jones Holidays brand hit the streets of North Wales and over the last 30 years tens of thousands of customers have enjoyed regular tours and holidays with Jones Holidays.
In 2017 the Jones Holidays brand was acquired by Alpine Travel, another local North Wales family business who mirror the same family values and high standards characterised by the Jones family business since 1898. Alpine Travel had previously been operating their luxury coaches on behalf of Jones Holidays for at least a decade prior to the business acquisition, so for the thousands of regular customers it was business as usual.
2018 will see the 120th anniversary of the Jones name providing transport services in Flintshire.